I hope you stay awhile. My atrocious guffaw of a laugh slips my lips all to often now at your expense. You all know what I mean—those obnoxious loud bursts of ugliness when something is unexpectedly HILARIOUS. Those just can't be held in.
Boy, you catch me off guard.
We were on our crazy bullet bike ride of a second date. Stopped at a red light, I liked your rebellious chuckle as the light turned green and my exhilarated screams were lost in the acceleration.
It's the rose you casually held hidden behind your back and gave to me as we stood in the street with cars driving by. Three months ago exactly from today, you said.
I fell for Sasquatch.
Well, the canadian in the Sasquatch costume. At our house Halloween party I asked to get a picture with you. I almost just walked away after my camera captured the moment but decided to stop and chat for a bit. You later said that Sasquatch costume you bought off amazon was the best investment you have ever made.
I remember the first time the word slipped out. I was sitting on the couch by the window with my roommate Cassie on a sunny day last November. "Pretty day today, eh?" I said. Oh no. I covered my mouth in shock and Cassie chortled. There it was. The word I'd so often teased you for saying. How had it slipped out? The notorious "eh" rolled effortlessly off my lips. I have since come to terms with the fact I am a wannabe Canuck and now say "eh" with a weird sense of pride now.
I rub off on you too. You were in your kitchen cutting peppers and almost sliced your finger. I was in the other room and all I heard was a loud "HELEN KELLER" echo through the house. I am satisfied to say the phrase is now a regular part of your vocabulary.
Singing my heart out to Spice Girls' "Wannabe" to you in the car is a normality. Being purposely inappropriate together at dance parties is inevitable—and totally worth it to see people's reactions. Grocery store dates always result in one of us pushing the other on a cart super fast down an aisle and narrowly avoiding knocking over a shelf of food or running over elderly folk. Sacrament meeting hymns turn into whisper-in-your-ear vibrato opera performances and jabbing each other in the stomach with our elbows during the prayers. Seemingly adorable piggy-back rides outside end with me being "accidentally" dumped and white-washed in the snow. My now dripping-wet hair in below ten degree weather leaves neighbors questioning my sanity while you just smile and say hello like a good little poster-boyfriend. You most definitely put on that dimpled smile, and it always works. You know the way to my crazy insane dorky heart is food and use that to your advantage any time you can.
I have never been more me.
I have laughed more in these last four months than I have the last year. I'm not talking about those cute, polite, almost pity laughs that everyone does on a regular basis these days in the course of conversation. I'm talking about those almost completely silent throw-your-head-back-and-squeak-unattractively-between-gasps-of-air laughs. The ab-workout kind I mentioned in the beginning.
I hope you stay awhile.
Everything is effortless and comfortable. Nice like an oversized sweatshirt.
xoxo brookie


No comments:
Post a Comment